EDCI 6218 Emotions and Learning
The purpose of this course is to provide an introduction to the subject of emotions and learning for teachers and other members of school communities, as well as to offer some practical ideas and suggestions for harnessing the benefits of "emotional intelligence" in the classroom. The course will provide professional development for:
- all teachers - to introduce them to the issues around emotions and learning and encouraging them to teach with emotions in mind
- principals and school board members - to introduce them to the subject of emotions and learning so that they understand the impact of emotions and can inform their staff of its implications.
- support staff - to increase their understanding of the significance of emotions and learning so that it can help inform their professional practice in the future
- consider the importance of emotions and their impact on all experiences
- aim to define "emotion"
- explore how the body and mind display, and are affected by, emotion
- explore how to use emotion in the classroom to enhance the learning process
- examine strategies to harness emotions to benefit teaching and learning